Usually when I meet people for the blog, it is spur (San Antonio pun intended) of the moment and I find myself having to explain why I'm asking the questions I am. The worst part of all is the picture. If I were these new strangers, I'd probably say no and run far, far away. And as I've learned, even when they agree to a picture, it can turn into an awkward video that makes us both look foolish. Struggles aside, the blog is a lot of fun.
Occasionally, I have had "blog opportunities" fall into place. I.e. Joe Joe Huff. I.e. today's blog-- Ryan.
For the record, I couldn't even tell you what i.e. is an abbreviation for. I'm fairly sure it's something along the lines of "example for."
Literally just looked that up. Wow. I.e. is Latin for id est which means 'that is' or 'in other words.' E.g. is Latin for exempli gratia which means 'for example.'
One could argue they're almost interchangable. I'll stand by my previous i.e. usage.
Ryan is Liz's cousin. (Liz the accepted Packer fan from Wisconsin). Stick with me here. Ryan flew down for a visit--quite the theme as of late. Ryan is also from Wisconsin and originally went to school in St. Paul, Minnesota. He is now going to a UW affiliate in Wisconsin. Fact about UW schools he told me: They are soon-to-be out of existence. He told me of all the hoopla with the current name change and the effects of it. Effects with an e is a noun. Affects with an a is a verb.
Ryan was a laid back dude. He asked me how exactly the blog worked. I told him I usually just harass people at work or offer them donuts on their way home. He was doing neither, so I was pretty much out of ideas. I told him I liked to ask the person what the most interesting thing about them is. He was quick to answer to this--in a unique way. He pulled back his hair and fiddled with his ear. That reminds me---Ryan was also big into music and possibly religion/philisophy studies as he continued with college.
Back to the deal. He literally takes off his ear! I would never openly admit to accidentally using the bathroom in my pants even if I did, but I will say I came pretty darn close at the sight of this. The fun rolls on.... Ryan tosses me the ear. I catch it. What else was I going to do? Drop it? That's his ear!
My face asked all the questions I was pondering in my head. And Ryan swiftly answered what I didn't know how to ask. He told me how he was born without one ear. He has this (still-in-my-hand-at-the-time) prosthetic ear instead. To be fair, I've never seen a prosthetic ear before, but this was definitely the most realistic one ever.
My mind was blown. Ryan was cool. He showed me something I didn't know about. And he was nice enough to fly all the way down to visit his family. That's what I'm talking about.
Zach,l go to lengths I've never known anyone to go to just to get an interesting story....And this was an interesting story...God bless your new friend Ryan for being such a good sport....It's a good feeling to get people to open up and tell you something so personal and to know that they trust you enough to know that there won't be any disgust or laughter from you....There wasn't was there?....I'm glad you met Ryan...Life's interesting, eh?....By the way, when you get home from your Texas experience I'm finally going to show you my removable eye....Peace, Dad
ReplyDeleteZachy-poo...
ReplyDeleteI am so enjoying your blog (which speaks of how utterly boring my life can be)and that I can live vicariously through your close encounters. I have learned that life can be full of wonderful adventures if you just take the time to find them. I have learned that some people have more interesting removable items than I. I have learned that I am so lucky to have met you long ago - oh wait I already knew that. I have learned that the next time you are in the Quads - we are going to Dunkin Donuts as fast as we possibly can.