Monday, March 21, 2011

Day 13: Donut Feel Nice To Meet New People?

Oh my gosh, what a corny title.  I was struggling for ideas. 


Today was not actually a rockin' day.  Seldom things get me down in this world.  Angry people are one of them.  I have unfortunately encountered a couple of them the past couple of days.  I just can't understand how people can go through life living such grumpy, unfriendly lives.  Especially when we are constantly seeing images of disaster like that in Japan or tragedies of our soldiers begin sent away from their homes. We're incredibly lucky to even live in such a country and have a lifestyle in which we are able to complain about gas prices rising or a struggling job market.  It is unfortunate to take things for granted.  But that is all I will say about that.

Because....

It's people like this that erase the negativity of others. 


First of all, I went to HEB Grocery for some essentials.  And when I say essentials, I mean orange juice, cheese, pork chops, and another dozen glazed donuts.  I'm strolling into the place and who do I see?  You guessed it: Jose!  We shook hands like the friends we've been for a week and half and talked for a minute.  He had just gotten off work and was gearing up for a 10k in Austin this weekend.  He also told me about how his friend had updated his entire website.  Even cooler than before, check it out [again].  http://www.josemunozrunning.com/     Awesome.

Anyways, I am stoked about these donuts, and I was due for one of those Tommy Boy days at the girls' place.  So I headed there after properly putting away the OJ, cheese, and chops.  My spirits are back up because I have a donut in one hand, and a box of eleven more in the other. 

Problem: Gate ahead is locked, requiring at least one--if not both-- of my hands. As I begin to put down the box of donuts, a friendly fellow apartment goer enters stage right.  Or possibly left.  Where are you sitting? 

He punches in the gate code and the donuts stay fully entact.  I thanked the guy for opening the gate for me and he nodded.  I then realized I probably didn't need all remaining eleven donuts for myself and offered him one.  He declined and I kept walking---a few steps ahead of him. 

Then suddenly I heard, "Maybe... I try."  I was pumped to see the guy had changed his mind.  I opened the box and then told him about the blog and the quest to meet new people.  I asked him his name.  He had a very heavy accent and told me he was from Italy.  His name was Andrei.  Andrei was a helpful dude who was enjoyable to talk to.  My favorite part of the conversation was when I asked him how long he had been in San Antonio.

"8 months.... I think."   It was nice to finally meet someone as lost as I was. 

Another enjoyable part of this brief run-in was trying to take a picture.  My hands were covered in glazed and no one was around to take it for us.  I thought it was on photo-mode when this took place...


It also captures the donuts which was the key to any of this happening.  You're the man, Andrei.  Enjoy the States and I wish you many more glazed donuts.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I just came back from Italy. That's fun. I have really enjoyed reading your blog Zachary Clark!

    ReplyDelete