Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 0: Copyright Disclaimers

As I begin this new journey in the blogging world, I would first like to explain a few things.  First of all, the title of my blog: The Other Clark.  Many moons ago, my older brother--we'll call him Matt-- started a blog entitled Roaming Bulldog.  You see, my brother is a much more traveled, cultured, worldly fellow than myself.  He's been to the likes of Europe, Asia, Australia, and other far away lands I am unfamiliar with.  He is a graduate of Drake University, hence the traveling mascot "Bulldog" reference.  Are you with me so far?  I figured since I was now the next in line for a blog, I would just go by The Other Clark.  And, to be totally honest, I am coincidentally wearing one of Matt's Drake Bulldogs t-shirts I swiped from him when he moved to Japan, which reminded me of his blog when I was trying to think of a name.  So, Matt, if you're out there reading this in the futuristic world you call home, I thank you for the naming idea, and I apologize about the shirt incident. 

Moving on from that probably-over-comma'd paragraph, I will get to my next order of business.  I would like to thank my kind girlfriend, Kristyn, for the idea of the blog.  On this lovely Fat Tuesday evening, we were discussing possible things to give up for Lent.  She suggested I give up ice cream and that I begin working out every day.  I'm not entirely sure what she was getting at, but I'm sure she meant well.  Upon swiftly shooting down that idea, we talked about other "typical" broken Lenten promises-- giving up candy, pop, chocolate, desserts, etc etc.  We've all been there before.  Then we began talking about things we could DO, as opposed to things we could NOT do.We've probably all tried this one, too.   I suggested perhaps bringing my neighbor Luana a gift for all of her help.  I have recently moved to San Antonio, Texas, for a semester of student teaching.  I haven't met any of my neighbors except Luana.  She is a kind lady who gets stuck watching my UPS boxes my parents send me when I am not home to recieve them. 

Kristyn added to this with the possibility of meeting more neighbors.  I was interested in the idea at first, but then began thinking... "I'll have to tell them I student teach. Then they'll know I'm gone all day. They'll break in and take all my valuables.  But wait, I don't have any valuables.  How much are lawn chairs? Are these Grandma Mert's TV trays?  That's a new microwave!"  Needless to say, this idea was not happening either.  Anyways, the final idea was to meet someone new everyday, for all 40 days of Lent.  I figured since the mail man, who's name I don't even know, is on my Top 5 Best Friends in San Antonio list, I could use the opportunity to both make new friends and get to know people I otherwise wouldn't.  It's a super cool idea, and I'll admit I wish I had come up with it myself.  But you know what they say, "Behind every great man is a girlfriend who comes up with all of their Lenten ideas." 

So tomorrow marks Day 1.  I will meet one new person and learn new things about him or her.  I will then report back to you, the loyal viewers (AKA probably just my parents) of this blog. 

As crazy and sometimes sad as this world can be, it's important to remember how many enjoyable, genuine people there are in it.  Even more important is not letting them go unnoticed in your life.   I have been blessed to have many wonderful people in my life, and I look forward to meeting even more.  I hope all of you have a wonderful Lent and do something you really enjoy.  If you don't want to give up candy, maybe you could just make a new friend instead.  And who knows, maybe they will even have some candy?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Zacho,
    Nice, very nice! I am impressed and very proud!!
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent way to spend the 40 day Lenten season kid.....Meeting new people is always interesting.....Just like you I too have made some changes in my life for the 40 days of Lent....I've given up buying Lotto tickets every evening of every day.....Yes, it's true........I now buy them every morning or afternoon of every day......Proud of you Son....Peace, Dad

    ReplyDelete