Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 35: Reverberation Vinyl

For a couple of years in college, I worked for the YMCA.  I mostly worked at local elementary schools doing the after-school program.  For a semester I got to work at the Y as a PE teacher for the home-school PE program.  It was a real blast and a great opportunity for kids who were home-schooled to come meet other people their age. My boss was a guy named John Anderson.  With the exception of being a St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago Bears fan, JA is a really cool fellow. 

Long story short, JA had a dream of someday owning a record shop.  A lot of people often have dreams of doing things but never have the time or drive of accomplishing them.  Not JA, though.  He did indeed open a record shop---Reverberation Vinyl.  While I was in Bloomington/Normal, I stopped by his new shop.  Sure enough, there sat JA at the register, basking in his glory. 

I'm not too up on music lingo, nor do I own a record player, but I flipped through the shelves of records as JA told me all about the place.  His dad had built some really sweet shelves that the records were now on.  He said the store had been officially open for about a month and it was quite a hit with a lot of Illinois Wesleyan students from across the street.  As we caught up on each other's lives, I discovered this little gem...


Booya! Rock Island. That's what I'm talkin' about. The contents of this case was about 7 times too big to fit into my car CD player, but I imagine it's a good listen.


Moral of the story--- follow your dreams.  JA is an awesome guy who has done a lot of great things for a lot of people, including myself.  He has that "drive", and turned it into something awesome.  Best of luck with the new business, JA.  You can bet I'll be back for some more of those frisbee-shaped, black-plate looking things soon. 



PS-- you can check out the store's information on their facebook page "Reverberation Vinyl".  If you live in the area, you have to check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment